The Californian Challenge is an exciting opportunity for students to participate in team-building activities aboard historical vessels.
This Adventure offers a unique hands-on approach opportunity to teach students about Pirates and the Sailors life during the 18th century by exploring real life exhibits and participating in hands-on activities such as:
- Rowing lesson and rowing out on San Diego Bay aboard one of the longboats
- Black powder gun or cannon demonstration on the Museum barge.
- Sailing (yes, sailing) the tall ship Schooner Californian on a lengthy excursion.
Upon returning to the docks, they will be firing the ships guns to salute the Star of India. After the program, you can take a self guided tour of the Museum’s other ships and submarines including the HMS Surprise (featured in Master and Commander and Pi-
rates of the Caribbean 4) as well as the USS Dolphin (deepest diving submarine) at your own pace. (subject to availability)
Grades 4th—12th (strictly enforced)
- No late registrations or refunds will be processed after the closing date. No Exceptions
- Special Guidelines: Space is limited; first serve basis. No use of memberships/passes. Students and child guest must be within specified grade levels for each program. One adult per Homeschool family.
- Program ends at 4 p.m. approx.
- Parking: Parking lot & meters, cash only. (Cost TBD, subject to change)
- All Students must be accompanied by a registered adult through PayPal.
- Note: If you have multiple Homeschool students, each Homeschool student must be registered for all Field Trips using their own designated flex fund account. Any duplicate orders for the same field trip on one student’s account will not be allowed.
- Field Trip Photography Disclaimer: “Please be advised that photographs will be taken at this event for possible use on the SCS website, marketing materials, and/or all other SCS publications. If you do not want you or your child to be photographed please advise the Field Trip Coordinator.
- How to Cancel: Forward your registration confirmation email receipt to email@example.com with a detailed notation to cancel by the deadline date indicated on each field trip.