The Varsity Sport for the MindTM
River Springs Charter School students, age 14 – 18, are encouraged to join one of our three robotics teams located at the Temecula Student Center, Hemet Student Center, and Magnolia Student Center. These teams compete in the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics Competition. The FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) is considered the varsity Sport for the MindTM. It combines the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology. Under strict rules, limited resources, and time limits, teams of students are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program robots to perform prescribed tasks against a field of competitors. It’s as close to “real-world engineering” as a student can get. Volunteer professional mentors lend their time and talents to guide each team.
Students get to:
- Learn from professional engineers
- Build and compete with a robot of their own design
- Learn and use sophisticated software and hardware
- Compete and cooperate in alliances and tournaments
- Earn a place in the World Championship
- Qualify for over $19 million in college scholarships
For more information about River Springs Charter School robotics programs, contact George Essel.